Wednesday 14 January 2009

Not such a pretty penny


So, as the handy list on the right hand side of here says, I am going to need quite a lot of vaccinations before I go away in July. I'm absolutely fine with needles, so I haven't been worried about that, it's just organising them all!
 
As someone who is not a particularly seasoned traveller, I don't really know anything about Malaria tablets, hepatitis jabs and such so I wanted to make sure I considered all factors in my arrangements. Timings, costs, availability, clashes, etc. etc. - to become the human pin cushion is surprisingly not straight forward!
 
This morning I had my annual flu jab, and upon arrival the nurse told me I was due for a booster of my tetanus, diphtheria, and polio. I thought this was great as they were all on my preparation tick list, and turned out to be free, which was a pleasant surprise. After having the jabs and feeling the usual, dull arm ache set in, the nurse talked me through everything I needed to prepare. Undeniably helpful, and very enthusiastic, she helped me prepare a timeline and figure out costs, and I nearly threw up when we figured out my injections will cost me £500!  I suppose one's health is priceless but still, it's enough to put you in mild shock when you're scraping every penny together for your airfare amongst other things.
 
So I'm now bringing in a new fundraising notion 'Sponsor a jab'. If you want something more tangible for you donation, don't give your money straight to Raleigh - sponsor one of my injections. That way, you don't just get the satisfaction of supporting a charitable cause, you're also keeping me happy and healthy :) I'm quite serious about this so, if you DO want to give in a more novel way, let me know.
 
After getting my breath back and figuring out what organs I could donate to fund this, the nurse asked me when I was going and for how long, and then simply said 'planning on losing weight before you go?'. Talk about adding insult to injury! :)

No comments: