Tuesday 5 May 2009

Falling into place

So, Borneo/expedition prep updates have been fairly minimal as well, nothing has really changed! This is often the way with something with a long build up: there's the initial excitement and the immediate pre-travel preparations but otherwise, things aren't that changeable from day to day.  As a result, the fact that I'm even going away seems completely unreal, almost surreal in fact but, with just over two months to go, I can however think of a couple of things which is making everything sink in a little more.

Firstly, I have now booked my flights. I am fully paid up, itinerary printed off and flight numbers confirmed to go on my trip. I leave on the evening of July 8th and arrive back on our shores on the 4th September. Seems like hardly any time away really, but I know it'll feel like I've been there forever once I've thrown myself into project life. I managed to get an amazing deal on my travel through a travel agent friend of mine, which means the money I've saved can go towards more useful things than in flight meals - mosquito repellent and sun screen!

Secondly, I have also bitten the bullet and informed my manager of my plans. There were various reasons why I haven't informed them before now, these largely come down to my worry about not being able to go for whatever reason, my differing feelings over whether I wanted to keep my job or not, and plain old fear when it came down to it. I was very nervous about the reaction of my manager as after much consideration, I decided I would like to come back to my job, so would be asking for unpaid leave. In the current economic climate I felt the request of two months off, including 6 weeks unpaid leave is somewhat cheeky, but, once I've made a decision I like to commit and , as many friends reminded me, there's no harm in asking. 

I know my company has a policy against sabbaticals if you've been employed with them for less than 4 years (I've only racked up two!) so was expecting the worst, however, given the fact that it's a charity project, I'll be learning great new skills, AND it's not very long in the grand scheme of things, my manager seemed very positive we could work out some way for me to stay.  This was music to my ears, even if I do have to resign for whatever reason, at least I know they want me to stay, and will be fighting my corner! It was great to know I have the support of my boss, and the fact he recognised what a big deal the trip is for me, and realises how much a better employee I could potentially be on my return (providing I odn't get malaria). There's no definite answer either way yet, but just have the secret off my chest is a relief enough in itself.  I've hated feeling dishonet, so I'm glad I can now share this with my colleagues rather than act sheepish when asked about my summer plans! 

I will keep you all posted as to how things work out, but at the moment it's looking pretty good so, watch this space...


No comments: