Tuesday 21 July 2009

Raleigh debrief - two weeks in

So, I've talked and talked about the project specifically, but I thought I'd give a bit of a debrief about how the whole experience has been thus far...

The challenge - is much more than I thought it would be. I'm sure the result will be much more rewarding but I haven't done anything so mentally, and sometimes physically, demanding. There have been tears and times when I've felt a very daunted by the task so, as much as I'm getting a lot out of it, it's hardly like I'm sat here having the best fun of my life 24/7. Although this evening I did walk into town and treat myself to a back massage. Yes, my treat is paying a small Malaysian lady to essential beat me up, that about sums it up!

People - I have been really lucky with the group of PMs we have. I cannot believe I type these words as I haven't really enjoyed the previous chances to meet other volunteer managers and thought I would find it difficult to meet like minded people but, hats off to the guys and gals, they are ace. Instead of the highly competitive atmosphere everyone is openly finding this 1,000 times more challenging than we expected, and is quick to pick people up when they've had enough or don't think they're up to the challenge. There is a lot of laughter, not necessarily because we're having the time of our lives, but when we realise that we've done this to ourselves, and some of the more ludicrous positions we find ourselves in. For example, tonight we had a night at HQ which involved fancy dress, skits and 'Raleigh Olympics'. For my sins I was force fed ice cream, crawled on the fall to narration and pushed a land rover up a hill as part of a race. Honestly, what is that about? It's refreshing to be involved in a cause like this and it not be flooded by, as my good friend Racheal would say 'hideously pro-active do gooders' simply, people who are up for a challenge and something different, most importantly, with a sense of humour.

Sanity levels - are low. I spent most of today's soft skills training wearing a cape my friend found in the dressing up box here. No one really questioned it, least of all me. This is not right, surely? I think the isolation of jungle life may mark the dissolution of my sanity altogether...help!

Malaysia - is a gorgeous place and the island of Borneo is beautiful. I have seen a real range of luxury to poverty which I clearly haven't experience before and is a real eye opener. The people everywhere are super friendly and helpful which is very reassuring when you're stressed trying to organise things of great importance. It is super hot and humid here, none of our clothes dry, we sweat just from sitting down and rain is a thing to be celebrated as it leaves you momentarily comfortable!

Going native -
I haven't worn make up in two weeks, my hair looks like I've been electrocuted and I kind of love it. I cheated and borrowed someone at HQ's hair straighteners the other day and it was blissful I will admit. Two luxuries I miss are a bed and warm water but hey ho, we can't have it all. I am also a bit sick of everything smelling all the time, if it's not because no one can stop sweating, it's the super strong DEET insect repellent we wear. A very savoury thought I know.

Personal development (i.e. what 50% of Raleigh is all about) - I don't know how I feel about this. I am being truly pushed and can only imagine it's good for me, however, it is bloody hard. I know a lot of friends likened what I'm doing to travelling, and I too thought it would be a lot more straight forward! I don't mean to sound like I'm banging on but, friends who read this probably sponsored me so I want them to know what they paid for! It has made me realise a few things I need to work on personally, and I'm sure many more will come to the fore throughout the project. I just wish I wasn't so far away doing this sometimes as there are plenty of occasions I could use the phone/a rant! Please send letters if you can, I may go mad without.

Skills - I have loved learning radio communications, and a lot of a fluffy 'soft skills' have been very useful. Practical camping skills are something I haven't needed for a long time and it's nice thinking that way again, and being able to say I know how to use a machete properly is a bit strange. I think it'll be one of those things where a random question/comment will be made and I suddenly realise I have learnt loads and will be extremely grateful.

Anyway, enough blabbering, photos of the Imbak Canyon jungle camp to follow soon! xxx

5 comments:

Chrisps said...

Really love reading your blogs. Sorry - but they make me smile - not because I enjoy the fact that you have had some trying moments - but your writing style and general humour about everything is great!

Big hugs and missing you loads.
Chrisps

Nicki said...

Sarah, it sounds like you're doing amazing! By my reckoning there have been three tear sessions so far which seems pretty bloody good going! I would be hysterical at the mere thought of electro-hair (although, strangely, it works!)

Importantly, did you take vodka or do you get to sample some local jungle moonshine?! Also, what's the progress on getting over the fear of bugs and critters?!

I'm imagining the project will be something akin to Bridge on the River Kwai but with more students and less shooting :) Keep us posted.

Lots of love,

Nicki

P.S. It's raining in Guildford and Amelie has developed cat acne. You're not missing much :)

Charlotte D said...

Wow girl, I'm so proud of you and want to make you a cup of tea! Missing you here back in blighty, but the world here is very uninspiring and boring and I can't tell you how much your blog makes me feel that I shouldn't moan about a job when you REALLY ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE.

Good luck with everything.

All my love

Agro
xxx

Amy said...

Hello Sarah - just wrote a comment - but you know how rubbish I am with this kind of thing - I am not sure if it is going to appear - so apologies if it does as you will have 2 very similar messages from me! Sorry this is not that long - but just back from work and off to bed, promise to write more very soon, but after reading all your update I couldn't not leave a comment. I am SO MEGA PROUD of you - it sounds so amazingly difficult, such hard work and such a challenge - which it sounds like you are working so hard on. Love hearing all about it, sounds just like you talking it through and very amusing. Huge amy love and support to you, sounds really tough too and think you are doing so well. All ok here, gross weather tho! Passed an interview today so I can work with a different client group at work - will fill you in more via my next letter - have sent one which should be with you soon. lots and lots amy love xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sarah said...

Thanks for the love guys...

Nicki - still scared of everything but will have to get used to it. Had a shower with a spider the other day, I'm progressing. Poor Amelie, is she moody like a teen too? You don't need that with too boys I promise the first monkey I see has your name on it xx

Chrisps - Thanks, miss you too xx

Dawso - you are too kind my sweet, but seriously, think of it more as the most ridiculous thing I've ever done ratehr than do gooding - miss you too! xx

Amy - look forward to the post and thanks for the update. You are very cute indeed! I have bought letter writing paper esp for you, lots of love and miss you xx